Sunday, February 25, 2018

Ghost Bike


This is a ghost bike. For anyone who doesn't know, if you see a bike all spray painted white and non functional chained to the side of a road, it usually denotes a bicyclist who died at that location. This particular bike was on san tomas and winchester when I rode by today. It was not there last month.



I do a lot of riding. If not daily, then at least every day. I ride down the road, and a thousand cars come up from behind and pass me, and I know that any one of those drivers can suddenly cough, or sneeze at the wrong moment, and it will all be over for me. It will be that simple and that fast. I wonder if I would never know what hit me. Thats the best scenario. What are the odds, the chances? Tomorrow? Never?



Ive always told my kids that the safest way to ride is that every moment you are on the bike you have to expect that you can die in the next two seconds. Eyes and ears open at all times, even if you think you have the right of way. What I don't say is but even then that wont protect you from the drunks and the idiots. Then they ask Then Why Do You Do It then? Well, Because I love it. I get on a bike, and I feel free.



There are probably 5 or 6 ghost bikes that I ride past regularly within 10 miles of where I live. I say a silent prayer every time I go by. Like my dad used to say, There but for the grace of god go I.

No comments:

Post a Comment